Letters to and from Irish Immigrants to America, 1830s - 1880s




Michael and Mary Rush, Ardnaglass, County Sligo, Ireland, to Thomas Barrett, Quebec, Canada, 6 September, 1846.

Dear Father and Mother,

Pen cannot dictate the poverty of this country at present. The potato crop is quite done away all over Ireland and we are told prevailing all over Europe. There is nothing expected here, only an immediate famine. The labouring class getting only two stone of Indian meal for each days labour, and only three days given out of each week to prolong the little money sent out by Government to keep the people from going out to the fields; to prevent slaughtering the cattle, which they are threatening very hard they will do before they starve. I think you will have all this account by public print before this letter comes to hand. Now, my dear parents, pity our hard case, and do not leave us on the number of the staving poor, and if it be your wish to keep us until we earn at any labour you wish to put us to we will feel happy in doing so. When we had not the good fortune of going there the different times ye sent us money; but alas, we had not that good fortune. Now, my dear father and mother, if you knew what danger we and our fellow countrymen are suffering, if you were ever so much distressed, you would take us out of this poverty Isle. We can only say, the scourge of God fell down in Ireland, in taking away the potatoes, they being the only support of the people. Not like countries that has a supply of wheat and other grain. So, dear father and mother, if you don't endeavour to take us out of it, it will be the first news you will hear by some friend of me and my little family to be lost by hunger, and there are thousands dread they will share the same fate. Do not think there is one word of untruth in this; you will see it in every letter and of course in the public prints. Those that have oats, they have some chance, for they say they will die before they part any of it to pay rent. So the landlord is in a bad way too. Sicily Boyers and family are well: Michael Barrett is confined to his bed by rheumatism. The last market, oatmeal went from 1£ to 1£1s per cwt. As for potatoes there was none at market. Butter 5£ per cwt., pork 2£8s per cwt., and everything in provision way expected to get higher. The Lord is merciful, he fed the 5000 men with five loaves and two small fishes. Hugh Hart's mother is dead; he is in good health. So I conclude with my blessings to you both and remain your affectionate son and daughter.

Michael and Mary Rush

For God's sake take us out of poverty, and don't let us die with the hunger.

Letter from Mrs. Nolan, County Kilkenny, Ireland, to her son Patrick, apparently in Providence, R.I., October 8, 1850

Dear Patt,

I received your letter with the thirty shillings in our greatest of want. I hope God will reward you for it. The day it come, I was without one bite to eat. Dickey's 8 weeks in bed, without a stitch on him, and my petticoat and coat's all pawned. Dear Patt, we've no place to lay our heads. We were lodging under James Street arch, but were put out of it. Then a few nights up in the Sconce, still without a bite. We'd be dead long ago, only for two neighbors that often gives me a bite, for God's sake. Little ever I thought it'd come my turn to beg. No more would I beg, only for your father's death. But thanks bit of God, whatever me or his child here is suffering, your father died and was buried the way he lived: respectable and decent. Dear Patt, I've had not a penny. The blankets, bed and boots of my feet was pawned. You can't know how we're suffering unless you were in starvation and want, without friend or fellow to give you a shilling, then you'd know. But on my two bended knees, Patt, fresh and fasting, I pray to God that you nor none of yours may ever know, nor ever suffer, what we are suffering now. Uncle John said he'd keep little John and Joseph until I write from America for them. I wrote to James and he promised to take them out last June and never wrote us since. Send word if he's in Providence with you. If he be in Providence, tell him that poor little Dickey longs both night and morning to see you and James. The poor child says he'd not be hungry if he was near you. Oh Patt, hurry and take us out of this. It's the poorest prospect of a winter that ever I had, without house or homefire, friend nor fellow nor bit of food to eat. That's my prospects. For the love of God, dear Patt, bring me and little Dickey out of this, as quick as you can. I pray that God's Holy Spirit be with you all. You promised to take us out.

Your loving mother until death.

The Journal of Andrew Leary O’Brien, (from County Cork, Ireland), 1837

On Tuesday morning April the eleventh, I engage passage in a steamer to the City of Liverpool, for ten shillings Sterling. The boat was heavily laden with passengers, & fat cattle for England. It took us two days & two nights to get to Liverpool. It was the worst passage I have ever been on, the weather was a continued storm of heavy gales. We were obliged to keep below as long as we could stand it, but the stench from the cattle aboard caused all the passengers to get so very seasick, I shall never forget the trip.

From Liverpool, we put to sea, and in twelve hours lost sight of England, & next of the Lovely Green Isle (Ireland) next. But Towards evening I felt I must get sea-sick, and before night I realized it. Being advised to bring some good Irish whiskey along as a preventative, I concluded I would try some, but on pouring out some I could not bear the smell, much less should I taste it. As I got worse & very sick, I concluded I must get my assent in taking some whiskey, and by powerful persuasion I took a mouthful of it, but to gain a world by the act I could not swallow it. After several determined attempts I succeeded in swallowing some. It made me worse. But this distressing state did not last long. I took a little more whiskey in about 3/4 of an hour & I felt like getting well & mended rapidly. I was never since sea sick & hope never will I be as sick as I was then.

When at sea about a fortnight a young woman who appeared to be sick from the start, died and was thrown overboard, or as it is termed on sea, buried in the deep. This sight bore heavily on my feelings, especially as it was done with very little concern, for the death seemed to be scarcely noticed. A committee was appointed in each cabin to see the passengers kept themselves and everything else clean, under penalty of being deprived of their water allowance. On the morning of this death the Captain sent word that the Committee must bury the dead. It seemed the dead being not well attended too, smelled very disagreeable, so I consequently refused to go about the body, and as I did the five others refused. The Captain sent word back that we must bury her. Being fully the Irishman, independent, & wild in my notions of matters, I sent word back by the mate [that] he, the Captain, may bury her & be d——md. He concluded there was no use to try to bully us. He sent the first mate and three sailors & had the dead woman sewn up in a sheet, some rocks at her feet. All the Irish passengers knelt down & prayed earnestly for the dead, and when done, she was thrown over board, & there ended her case.

(June 8th) As we hove in sight of the shores of New Jersey our prospects buoyed to a high degree, all nature seemed to be in bloom, the white cottages on the Jersey shores, presenting themselves to our view. The sight was beyond description, majestic and grand to us who had never witnessed the like. On a nearer approach, however, we were somewhat disappointed in beholding such a vast and wild forest, & concluded that the country was somewhat savage. There were several aboard not well yet, & when we arrived at the place of quarantine would not be allowed ashore. Those that were well were put ashore & sent on by Jersey City on the railroad.

(June 14th) When I was ashore on the streets of New York I felt like a man too light to be acted upon by gravity. When I attempted to walk, I reeled as if drunk, and when I raised my foot I raised three times higher than necessary. I was a stranger to walking.

Michael Hogan, Albany, NY, to aunt Catherine Nolan, County Carlow, Ireland, March 17, 1852

... We were 49 days tossing with the waves our passage was 20 pounds from Dublin to N. York and 6 pounds 5 shillings from New York to Albany. We are not sorrey for coming here but I am sorrey for spending so much of my time in Ireland

I would not encourage any person to come here that could live middling well at home as they might meet with many dificulties by coming here. but any Boy or Girl that has to labour for their living this is The Country for them.

G. Unthank, New York City, to John ?, Limerick, Ireland, February 16,1831

Several steam ferry boats ply from hence across the East river to Long Island a distance of 1200 yards in about 10 Minutes, and across the Hudson to Jersey, about 2000 yards, in fifteen minutes. they are so continuous that Coaches, Wagons, &c with all their company, and loading, drive on an inclined plane from the wharves upon their decks, and out again upon the same. the wharves are generally built with Timber. there are also many Timber houses in the principal streets, this City is about two thirds the size of Dublin and contains one Hundred and eighty thousand inhabitants about ten thousand of whom are black or people of colour, it increases prodigiously every year, the number of new houses built last year exceeded three thousand, and the population encrease in the ratio of five to each house, it must in a few years be much larger than Dublin, the streets are generally wide and straight, intersecting each other at right angles, but the houses are very irregular in the Old parts of the town and the Middle of the streets are kept in the worst areas, here are no fine square such as Stevans Green, nor are there any Buildings that can be called elegant, Many ranges of houses in New Streets are very handsome and uniform, but not to be compared to the leading Streets in Dublin or London or even Georges Street in Limerick, with the exception of Broadway, which is the principal one, with a flagged footway at either side twelve to fourteen feet wide, the Shops, which are here called Stores, are not so well stocked, nor are their proprietors so wealthy as those of Dublin or Cork.

Rents are enormously high, a house much inferior to yours, Situated in one of the leading Streets of business would let for two to three thousands Dollars a year. Landlords do not usually grant leases of houses but let them to tenants at will from year to year, this practice produces the greatest inconvenience to people of business, whose rent if they have formed an establishment, and thus enhance the value of Premises the Landlord will raise at pleasure, and if they do not submit, he will let their houses over their heads and turn them into the Street. Here are no religious distinctions, all men of good character are eligible to every public office without exception, the laws are mild but rigorously executed, thefts are not so frequent as in Ireland, perhaps because the people are not so poor, the shop doors to the Streets are half Glazed, and constantly shut, large quantities of Goods of every description lay outside the different shops and warehouses; notwithstanding, very few instances of petty larceny occur, the people in general are civil, but disgustingly free in their manners, in their dealings they are very sharp, and usually disposed to take every advantage, honesty and integrity appear to me to be at a low ebb; and if a stranger be not very cautious and circumspect, he will be soon shorn of any wool he may have, and must then turn to shearing himself. our Countrymen here are very numerous, reckoned at about fifteen thousand. no common beggars prowl the Streets, any industrious person can get work and may soon become independent; Carpenters, Masons, Smiths and other tradesmen have constant employment and can earn from 1 1/2 to 2 dollars a day. Labourers one dollar a day, the Sawyers of fire wood who are in general Irishmen and blacks are computed at One thousand, they go about with a whip saw and a cross to lay the wood in and they earn from one to two dollars a day. Several respectable merchants and traders in this city are Irishmen, but our countrymen here, as in every other place, are generally employed in the most laborious occupations, as digging Canals, attending brick layers, loading and unloading Ships, carrying burthens &c, the exceptions are few; several Irishmen who are not able or willing to work hawk oranges, Lemons, apples &c about the Streets - and about two hundred of them are employed driving hackney coaches, I have observed that the low Irish are the worst conditioned people in this country - on their first landing they are extremely meek and Servile, after mixing a short time with their Countrymen and hearing that all men are here free and equal in respect to their rights, they think that freedom consists in being at liberty to do as they please, and they become intollerably insolent, but at length after receiving repeated chastisements, they in two or three years become tollerably well conducted; Brandy is so very cheap and the climate so much in extremes of heat and cold that excessive drinking, even amongst the better classes, is not unfrequent, I was much surprized to see many respectable Merchants drinking Punch in Public houses betwixt Breakfast and dinner, an act which, you know, would destroy any mans character forever in Ireland. Many Irishmen who scraped together a little money, commenced selling grog, and by such beginnings, several have realized considerable fortunes, you seldom see a person in a state of inebriety in the Streets, the laws against drunkeness are severe and rigourously enforced, there are several fine converted Markets in every part of the City, all well supplied, Beef is good, Mutton much inferior to ours, Turkeys 30 lbs. wt. Poultry in general not so well flavored as the Irish, Potatoes abundant, but very bad, Fish must be brought alive to market. it is neither so good, nor in so great variety as in Ireland, Oysters are plenty and good. the prices of provisions about the same as with you, but clothing is dearer, with the exception of house rent, you can live as cheap in New York as in Limerick, as an instance I am boarded and lodged in a highly respectable family for four Dollars p week. the climate of New York is unhealthy, deaths average one hundred p. week, consumption is the most common disease, I fear your patience will be worn out, therefore I will bring this long desultory letter to an end.


James Christie, Clyman, Wisconsin, to his wife, Elizabeth Reid Christie, New York City?, February 3, 1847.

My very Dear Elizabeth,

I feel the utmost gratitude to God that you and the children are well. We will begin to put up our house in 10 days. We've drawn every log for it 3½ miles as our land contains no suitable trees. I build it in the most fertile part of the land, so that we may have a good garden at the door. I've been cutting down plum trees and wild vines but I've spared some so as you may see them. Providence seems to separate us that our Love may be purified. I have always told you, my Dear Elizabeth, that it was for the sake of our children that I would take upon me the toils of a settler's life, and how much easier will it be for me to die, knowing that they will be independent. We will each of us have 40 acres of good land, and my 40 will still be there when I am gone; not as when you die in Ireland, leaving your children a legacy of debt and the same eternal round of slavery which has been your own lot. We left with $310 and all that's left is 50. Out of that a cow and sow and pigs are to buy, and a plough, shingles and lumber for our house. We are hard up for cash -- but I enclose one dollar for you. You would have more if it were to spare. And have, My Dear Elizabeth, my blessing. God be about you and the Children, for you are my heart and they are the light of mine eyes. Your husband until death, James Christie.

Elizabeth Reid Christie, Hartford, Connecticut, to her husband, James Christie, Clyman, Dodge Co., Wisconsin, Feb. 24, 1847. [Fragment]

My Dear James,

I received your kind and Welcomed letter of 3rd February. There is nothing in this world gives me so much happiness, My Dear Husband, as a letter from you. Thank God, little Sarah Jane is quite strong again. And Tom is a fine stout boy. None of his clothes fits him, he's grown so. Oh, Dear James, you speak about us coming to you in April. God grant us that. I received your one Dollar which I am very thankful for. I bought some shirts for Tom and the makings of some slips for Sarah. But I long to see you, dear James. The days are years till we be once again together. Oh, that that day has arrived, I think I would cry for joy. Your loving wife, Elizabeth Christie.

Celia Grimes, Flushing, N.Y., to her family, Skerries, County Dublin, Ireland, 12 June 1869.

Dear Brother and sister

i am sure that yo will laff when I will tell you that I had three pleaces in one week i arived on wensday in know york and on the next day i went to serve the tables in a great hotell and there i worked all the day washing dishes you may say that it was a heavy Job when ten oclock came i was told that i might gow to bed i was not lonly for there was plenty off compy there they told me that the were irish but they was funy irish thirty of them slept in one room from ten tell twelve they came in to the room and there they corst like devils some of them made me laff about the green horn but hold on yo wont have the green horne long i sade to my self if god spears me tell morning and there i watched tell fore oclock and then i told them my time was up but how to find my way out of the house I did not know After i went about for a wile i found one of the men of the hous and he brought me safe out and showed me the way to Mary Anne Corry and that day ad(v)er(t)ised and the next day at seving oclock a lady came After me and ingaged me at ten dolares a month to gow to the cuntry She says that she is not a very rich lady but she is very kindly she takes more care of my helth than my self

Andrew Leary O'Brien (continued)

(June 28th, 1837) I got to a place called Muddy Creek, & here I hired to a contractor by name of Thomas English, as a stone Mason. Here I found several Irish from my Father's parish, with some of whom I was acquainted before I left home, & who were astonished to see me looking for employment on a canal in America.

I got to work on some butments, the foundation of a bridge across a creek & in a week or two, the contractor acknowledged I was the best mason on the job, & did more work. I never before worked on a day at the mason work, but while a boy I saw a great deal of it done, & took great pride at excelling in this work, but I was not long here before my peace and enjoyment was much marred.

I left & went out on the Croton water works near Harlem, & there hired with a contractor, a Mr. Francis Quinn. I remained here in the employment of a brick mason for some months, at two dollars per day, & here was the hardest work I ever saw a man at to be continued, building the tunnel for Croton water works, here was a foreman whom the others were obliged to follow, & lay as many brick in cement as he did and could lay three thousand brick per day for a stretch of a line sixty feet long, with cement and brick at hand at all places. We could scarcely straighten out our backs once in every hour. I braved the storm, & no mason on the job could tell I was a regular brick mason. I took from here eighty-five dollars.

Bixby & here I worked at the brick laying again & now I was a pretty respectable & and independent brick layer, though necessity was my teacher without an apprenticeship.

Patrick O'Neill, NYC, to his brother John O'Neill, Fall River, Mass. , 21 March, 1868

Dear John

I write you this note hoping to find you in good health & plenty of work as I have neither at present... I landed here on the first Monday of March and ever since looking for work & can't get nothing to do not even laboring work. The shoemakers is on strike here and about 500 walking out. The masters want to reduce them 20% of the wages they had and the men won't stand it at all so they are on strike this 2 months. There is not enough work here for the Blacks, let alone white people. I am very badly off at present and would like very much to be back in Dublin where I could get some work to do. I wish to God that I never left to come to this boasted land of plenty. I stopped here for 4 days looking for work everywhere & could get none. I started on Friday evening for Philadelphia & landed at 12 o'clock at night and went to bed and slept well. Got up in the morning, went to look for work & could get nothing to do there ... We stopped there till Monday evening when we had to sell all our things for to take us back again... We had to walk back to New York, a distance of 100 miles and passed through several small towns and could get no work in any of them. If you seen us tramping through the snow, you would pity us. We lived on bread & water for six days and slept in poorhouses every night. We got in here Saturday morning with 1 cent in our pockets and nothing to eat... ..we are sleeping there ever since. We get bread & soup every morning at half past six & we are very glad to get it & that is all we eat for the day. We have dreadful weather here, snowing since yesterday. 6 feet of snow in the middle of the street. Traffic all stopped, can't walk through the street. You may be sure we are very badly off and in very bad spirits... I never led such a life nor did I expect that ever I would. We are both cold & hungry this moment and does not know where to turn to. My mind is a hell to me. I was going to drown myself last night. God only knows what will become of me... This is a dreadful life to be leading, but we must stare fate in the face. For when we were happy, we did not know how to mind it. I wish to God that I was back in Dublin again for there is no place like it all over the world. There is about 100,000 people idle here and every ship brings out hundreds more. If you know anybody that is thinking of coming out here tel them for God sake to stop where they are. I found Maurice Murphy and he gave me 1 dollar on Tuesday, [Saint] Patrick Day. He has no work either... I was trying to get away all week but I could not. I went to the consul here but he could not send me over... Don't let anybody know the way we are off, for God sake... I will go home as soon as I can or die here by myself. Farewell, farewell, perhaps forever.

your affectionate brother, Patrick O'Neill

Lizzie Clark, Minneapolis, to her sister, Mrs. Mary McKeown, Belfast, Ireland, 17 July 1888.

Dear brother & sister

we were mairret on the 20th Day of June at half past 8 oClock in the morning and had a Mass said for us both that is a rule hear to have a mass for the married popple we road to Church in the finest Cover Carrages Could be got in City We came to our one house & had the wedding ther we had a big time we had all kinds of eating & drinking & evry one seme to ingoy them selves but I would like to have more of My friends to come

it took about 2 hundred Dollar to put our wedding over we had Cusan John & his wife was grooms man & brides made the were about 4 month married then he is aunt Margret son lord rest her sole in heavan he is head of the switch men on the ralroad & Can ern about 90 dolars a month my brother Mike dispointed us he was to Be grooms man but he Could Not get away on count of the serkis being in town he is still on the street Car but he past the examination and is going on the fire Apartment he will have 80 dolars per Month he is getting from 12 to 13 per week on the Car dear sister & brother I am very happy since i got married i got a very good kind young man for a husband his name is John thomas clark he is american born but i think his grandfather was irish descent he is Counted A very hansom young man by evry one that sees him he is 26 years of age his hair is dark brown & blue iyz with a strate nose so that is what he is like you told me to tell you in your letter

he is a Machine Agant he had a house furnished for me to go when i was maried But i dont think we will stay long in it for the rent is pretty Hie & a smaller house would do us as well he says he will write nexttime & he sends his his kind love to you all

Lewis Doyle, Kilkenny, Minn., to John Doyle, Pollerton, County Carlow, Ireland, January 23, 1873

Now Dear Cousin after being Careless about writing to my friends in Ireland for over twenty years I make bold to address this letter to you hoping it may find you and your family and also your Father and all enquiring friends enjoying a fair Share of this worlds goods and also the blessing of good health, Myself and My nine children are well thank God. My wife died in labor one year ago today leaving an infant boy we raised it very well till it was 7 months old when it died, We get on as well as Can be expected. I have been married and living here on a farm 16 years we had eleven Children four boys and seven girls. the oldest a girl is 15 years and the youngest is not three yet.

I have 80 Acres timbered land about 30 of it improved So that I could run a reaper on most of it the balance is yet a wild forest but the timber will be needed Sometime for fuel and other purposes. There is thousands of acres of vacant land here of the very best quality and can be bought for 1 to 2 Pounds per acre the land in America is Surveyed after the English rule. We grow here the very best kind of wheat, oats, Barley, Rye, potatoes and all kinds of roots & vegetables without any manure for Several, years,

there is a school House less than 1/2 mile from my house and a chapel less than two miles but the priest has So many places to visit that he does not have mass in it but once a month, there is a great many Railroads in the State already built and under contract, the wages paid to laborers on these roads are about 2 dollars per day and to a man and his two Horses 4 dollars Board on the line of these roads is from 3 to 4 dollar per week

My mother and her Sister Mrs Tobin are well and happy considering their ages, My Brother Tom is well off in this world. he has 7 or 8 Boys and keeps a large grocery and provisions Store, John went to California and made a bout 3000 Dols in gold, He and Tim Served as Lieutenants in the war and came out without a Scratch. He owns a large farm 4 miles from town and some building in town which he rents to tenants he has 4 or 5 children, Mike is a Carpenter and lives in town his first wife died and he is married again. Tim is a Sailor and is Mate of a Steamer during the Season of navigation, Bridget is married to an American man and is happy and well off She lives near John Ann is a Sister and teaches a convent School for the last 12 years, I am the poorest of all, and the reason is I did not lay up my money when I had it plenty

As I have a notion to marry again if I could get a Safe Match please Send some good young widows or old maids So they are good I want to get one from my own County because I know her and I could get along very well togather Its a fact weman of all kinds are rather Scarce here in Minnesota but Especially good ones. Pick out one for me and tell her I will take her on your reccomend and pay her passage into the Bargain, I am one year younger than you and have two good Horses 4 cows 8 sheep 20 Hogs and all tools to work my farm and am a carpenter to Boot and will give her all the tea and coffee (page 6) and pork She can possibly get out of Sight I believe I talked nonsense Enough if you call this nonsence now I will close by asking you to write me a few lines give my love to your wife to my Uncle and aunt Dobbins to your father and Brothers and to my Poor Aunt Nelly if She is alive I fear she is not Fare well till I hear from you,

Lewis Doyle

12 comments:

  1. Hello, I am researching Irish immigrant letters from America for a project I am working on, and the selection you have are brilliant. I was wondering if you could let me know how you found these and whether you could point me in the direction, so I could find more of the same.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so helpful I love this blog and I got all the info I need so thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. lelelleleleleelelellelelelleelelellele

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know about this amazing article as I got a lot of knowledge from this article.Thanks a lot.
    ireland writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot thank lemeridian funding service enough and letting people know how grateful I am for all the assistance that you and your team staff have provided and I look forward to recommending friends and family should they need financial advice or assistance @ 1,9% Rate for Business Loan .Via Contact : . lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com. WhatsApp...+ 19893943740. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks, Busarakham.

    ReplyDelete